HVAC Certification

To work as an HVAC technician, you need to be properly certified. There are several types of certifications you may obtain, and each one corresponds to a different area of the field to work in. Once you know what you want to do with heating and air conditioning, you can determine which certification best fits your plans. Here is some information to help you do that.

Types of HVAC Certification

Different types of certifications correspond to different types of HVAC careers. There are four options to choose from, depending on what you want to do in this profession. These include:

  • Type I HVAC Certification: This is made for people who want to work with household appliances, like refrigerators, stoves, and window units.
  • Type II HVAC Certification: This is for people who work with high-pressure refrigerant, often used in commercial refrigerators and residential heat pumps.
  • Type III HVAC Certification: This is for workers who want to repair low-pressure refrigerant systems, which are typically chillers in restaurants or stores.
  • EPA Universal HVAC Certification: This covers all types of certification, allowing a person to work anywhere he or she wants to.

Consider the options above to determine which certification you want to obtain. Then you can go through the training it takes to get it.

HVAC Certification Exams

The exams for each type of certification cover specific tasks in heating and air conditioning. All of the questions are multiple-choice, and they are issued at proctored testing facilities across the country. The Universal exam includes questions from the other tests, along with 25 core questions related to heating and air as a whole. With the proper training behind you, you should have no trouble passing your test with flying colors.

Most people spend one to two years in training before completing their certification exams. The test itself only takes a couple of hours to complete, but you may wait up to two weeks for your results. These will be available online and in the mail. If you take the EPA Universal certification exam, you can get Type I, II, or III certifications if you are unable to pass all of the sections. Get a 72% on one section and the core section, and you will be able to obtain the certification that corresponds to it.

You may retake your certification exam at any time, as long as the testing facility has an opening available. In the case of the Universal exam, all you have to do is repeat whatever sections you did not pass. If you just want to work with the certification you already have, you are welcome to do that as well. More certifications will simply boost your ability to find work in the long run.

Most people have no trouble getting an HVAC certification once they complete their career training. Find a heating and air school you can attend, and you will be on your way to certification in no time.

Leave a Comment